Once I implemented a visual warning for AS7341 sensor saturation, I’ve completed a decent baseline set of features. Enough for me to declare version 1.0 is complete. I tidied up the source code with comments and license headers, now I will tidy up the hardware side as well. During development I used what I built at the start of this project, with my ESP32 mini dev board and AS7341 breakout board connected by a pre-crimped JST-SH cable(*) mechanically compatible with Adafruit’s STEMMA QT form factor. I thought the cable would give me flexibility in moving the AS7341 around, but it has just been a huge hassle with it dangling and flopping about.
For experiments in portability, I taped both components to a USB power bank. This worked well enough and taught me I prefer having everything as a single unit. I will rebuild my sensor package into a single compact form.
I unsolder the STEMMA QT-compatible JST-PH cable because I’m going to skip the cable and put these two modules back-to-back. I cut up an expired credit card to place between them as insulation. Since I would only need short sections of wire, I dug up a short cutoff piece of wire that was probably from a resistor.
SCL and SDA pins are connected straight through. Ground is almost as straightforward and handled with a short S-shaped length. Power has to come from the opposite side, though, so I used actual wire with insulation to connect to 3.3V power.
Once in place, I can power the ESP32 with a small adapter sold as an USB OTG adapter(*) but it also works as a zero-length USB cable.
Plugging everything in together, I have an AS7341 sensor mounted to the back of my ESP32 dev board, which is plugged in to a USB power bank serving as a handle. A nice small compact and portable setup, with nothing flopping about.
After a quick test run to verify everything still works correctly, I protected the circuit board assembly with clear heat-shrink tubing. (*) Or at least, it is clear to my eyes. It seems to affect AS7341 sensors readings somewhat, so it is not completely transparent across all wavelengths. In order to remove this interference, I cut a small window to ensure sensor has unobstructed view.
(*) Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.