Upgrading to a SATA SSD was a hugely successful transformational upgrade for this old HP Pavilion Split X2 (13-r010dx). Physically, it was only a tiny improvement to the problems of heavy weight and it doesn’t nothing to help the low 1366×768 resolution screen, but the computer is now immediately responsive to user input and no longer miserable to use. That is the good news.
The bad news is that Sintech’s SSD adapter didn’t have mounting holes to line up to original mounting brackets. I originally thought I could 3D-print something to adapt its vertical mounting holes to horizonal, a simple rectangular loop should do the trick. Then I took a closer look at the dimensions and realized it’s not so simple.
The circuit board height where the interface plugs into is fixed and that height is in the middle of the screw holes. In order to clear mounting screws I would have to cut into the circuit board, which I’m not prepared to do. I already had to wait for a replacement to be shipped to me once, I didn’t want to ruin a board and have to wait again.
I considered offsetting vertically to clear the screw holes, moving in one direction or the other. But the overall height of this adapter + M.2 socket is barely any thinner than the original hard drive, leaving very little margin to work with. Pushing towards the screen, I could not move far enough to clear the screws. Pushing towards the back, clearing the screws would bump against the back cover.
So no 3D-printed adapter bracket for me. I ended up using double-side tape sold for attaching Raspberry Pi heat sinks, and used that to attach the SSD to the chassis. This solution is not ideal, but I’m not willing to revert to the stock hard drive because it was something better left to the past where it belongs.