Compact Assembly of AS7341 and ESP32 Boards

Once I implemented a visual warning for AS7341 sensor saturation, I’ve completed a decent baseline set of features. Enough for me to declare version 1.0 is complete. I tidied up the source code with comments and license headers, now I will tidy up the hardware side as well. During development I used what I built at the start of this project, with my ESP32 mini dev board and AS7341 breakout board connected by a pre-crimped JST-SH cable(*) mechanically compatible with Adafruit’s STEMMA QT form factor. I thought the cable would give me flexibility in moving the AS7341 around, but it has just been a huge hassle with it dangling and flopping about.

For experiments in portability, I taped both components to a USB power bank. This worked well enough and taught me I prefer having everything as a single unit. I will rebuild my sensor package into a single compact form.

I unsolder the STEMMA QT-compatible JST-PH cable because I’m going to skip the cable and put these two modules back-to-back. I cut up an expired credit card to place between them as insulation. Since I would only need short sections of wire, I dug up a short cutoff piece of wire that was probably from a resistor.

SCL and SDA pins are connected straight through. Ground is almost as straightforward and handled with a short S-shaped length. Power has to come from the opposite side, though, so I used actual wire with insulation to connect to 3.3V power.

Once in place, I can power the ESP32 with a small adapter sold as an USB OTG adapter(*) but it also works as a zero-length USB cable.

Plugging everything in together, I have an AS7341 sensor mounted to the back of my ESP32 dev board, which is plugged in to a USB power bank serving as a handle. A nice small compact and portable setup, with nothing flopping about.

After a quick test run to verify everything still works correctly, I protected the circuit board assembly with clear heat-shrink tubing. (*) Or at least, it is clear to my eyes. It seems to affect AS7341 sensors readings somewhat, so it is not completely transparent across all wavelengths. In order to remove this interference, I cut a small window to ensure sensor has unobstructed view. This completes version 1.0 of my AS7341 project, but before I move on I wanted to write down ideas of what I might do later.

(*) Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s